Reports to: Chief of party (COP)
Location: Mombasa with frequent travels to the program sites
Ref no: G&CM/04/2023
AMURT wishes to recruit a Grants & Compliance Manger under USAID Tujitegemee program which is a five year program currently in year 3 under Kenya Health Partnerships for Quality Services (KHPQS). Tujitegemee is funded by USAID PEPFAR to implement OVC & DREAMS Programs in Mombasa and Kilifi counties with an aim of increasing access and demand for quality HIV Prevention Services, increasing access to Quality Health and Social Services for OVC and their Families.
The Grants and Compliance Manager (GCM) will provide overall technical support in the management of sub-grants while working very closely with finance team. He /she will facilitate training in program and finance management to sub-grantees, support sub-partners on sub-grant management and assist in reviewing sub-grants agreements. The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring compliance with USAID rules and regulations, and legal and regulatory requirements governing the award. The GCM will oversee the overall compliance in the activity implementation from the development of work plans and budgets, reporting, sub granting, and budget administration as assigned by the COP or his/her designee. The GCM will be involved in developing and embedding best practices to comply with donor financial rules, supporting donor proposal budgeting, analysis of institutional income, donor contract expenditure tracking, monitoring and providing management information on key risks, contributing to the implementation of improved financial systems and processes to facilitate better donor reporting and compliance.
Preparation of donor reports
- Prepare donor reports in alignment with AMURT and USAID requirements
- Maintain files for approved grants and special projects showing:
- Agreement and donor regulations
- Approved budget and proposals
- Financial reports sent to donors
- Any other grants correspondence
- Review and where necessary provide appropriate expense codes for items requested by project staff to ensure accurate postings
- Prepare analysis of grant expenditure for management action to help in monitoring the burn rate for grants and special projects.
Compliance with grants regulations requirements
- Review expenses charged to grants for accuracy and completeness.
- Ensure grant projects close out procedures are done according to the donor guidelines.
- Ensure donor requested information is submitted on time.
- Ensure grant implementation and reporting follows donor rules and regulations.
- Work closely with the procurement department to ensure compliance with grants procurement guidelines
- Reconcile with the payroll.
- Coordinate grant project audits & reviews and follow up on audit recommendations to ensure 100% implementation.
- Actively participating and facilitating in project start up workshops to ensure financial aspect of projects are fully understood.
- Field monitoring visits.
Sub grantee Management and capacity building
- Conducting due diligence for new sub-grantees to ascertain strength of partners’ systems.
- Taking lead in sub-granting process, ensuring grant agreement are well executed.
- Monitor sub-grantee financial performance and adherence to donor regulations
- Enhance financial capacity of Sub grantees through continuous training based on need and the due diligence outcomes
- Review of sub-grantee’s financial report
- Maintain records and files on each sub-grantee
Leadership and Staff Management
- Ensure strong and positive leadership is provided to finance administration team of the assigned grant.
- Coordinate professional and personal development of finance project staff for assigned grant through adequate orientation, on the job coaching, identification of training needs and opportunities
- Ensure effective performance management as per AMURT guidelines and standards
- Ensure staff capacity is developed to enhance efficiency in execution of duties
- Create an environment that enhances team development
- Ensure positive supervisory skills are developed
Grant Financial risk management
- Ensure all grant projects are audited according to the donor requirements.
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from audits and various donor accountability mechanisms are acted upon in a timely and effective manner in consultation with Operations Team.
- Ensure the grant operate within AMURT internal control systems to mitigate risks and ensure accountability that will result in good audit ratings
- Ensuring payroll grant charges for assigned grant are accurately captured through the system.
- Work with the donors to develop Terms of reference for special purpose grant audits
- Master’s degree in Business, Procurement, Accounting, Finance, Management, Auditing, Economics or related field. membership of a recognized professional accountancy organization in good standing
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the NGO sector in Senior Grants/Compliance Management positions.
- In-depth understanding and experience of working with proposals and contracts from institutional donors.
- Experience of complex planning and budgeting processes including the ability to provide clear guidance on donor policies and procedures.
All applicants should urgently email a letter of application, CV (Not more than 3 pages), certificates and relevant testimonials to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th April 2023 indicating current and expected Salary. Candidates should clearly indicate the position applied for and its Reference number as the email subject. Interview will be done on a rolling basis and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will result to automatic disqualification.
“AMURT is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to child safe guarding.”