LOCATION: USAID TUJITEGEMEE – MOMBASA
The Finance and Administration Manager (FAM) is responsible for overseeing all aspects of financial management and reporting; budgeting, contract/sub-award procurement and management; human resources management, asset management, logistics, and prime award compliance with terms and conditions of the award – USAID Tujitegemee Project. The incumbent will implement program capacity development in the organization to carry out these functions.
- A Masters in Financial Management, Qualified Accountant (ACCA, CPKA or equivalent); professional accountancy qualification (Certified Public Accountants – CPA, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants – ACCA, or equivalent membership of a recognized professional accountancy organization in good standing.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience supervising overall operations of donor funded activities.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience overseeing grantee compliance with donor –funded requirements for significant donor funded activities.
- Experience in performing Finance and Administration responsibilities, Grants management, annual work plan and budget development and coordination of internal and external audits.
- Extensive understanding of working with NGOs and donor guidelines.
- Training in USAID rules and regulations is a MUST
- Experience with USAID’s financial, procurement and administrative management is required
- Well, acquainted with financial reporting tools, systems and programs with proven financial analysis and forecasting ability.
- Experience managing a diverse team with strong people management skills.
- Proficiency in Computer applications, financial systems, and ability to work under pressure in challenging environment.
- Good leadership and management skills, good prioritization and time management skills, multi-tasking and ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Good communication and reporting skills both verbal and written
EXPECTATIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITY
- To professionally and diligently carry out specified tasks as agreed and periodically reviewed by the supervisor
- Maintain effective and efficient finance systems that supports accountability, minimize risks and aligned to donor requirements
- To participate in team work to achieve the organization’s goals and mission
- Demonstrate integrity, adhering to AMURT’s organizational policies and USAID regulations
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities in a professional atmosphere
- Provide advice to the Chief of Party and Project Management Team on concerns or issues related to the organizations’ performance and growth and how the organization can support your role
- Must have experience working with USAID reporting templates et al.
- Must be able to live in Mombasa or willing to relocate to Mombasa.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Management & Administrative Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership to staff in finance, accounting and administrative functions of the organization.
- Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy, and provide guidance and analysis to the board and management to improve results.
- Supervise the maintenance of the accounting system and records on all transactions and assets
- Administer the payroll to ensure its in compliance with the government regulations in all taxable deductions and that its timely and accurately prepared
- Ensure the procurement process is in compliance with grants guidelines, corporate agreement and organization policy
- Oversee safe custody and maintenance of departmental records in line with legal frameworks and donor requirements
- Represent the organization in program and partner’s meetings
- Oversee all program logistics needs, staff recruitment and performance reviews, compliance and agreement guidelines
Budgeting & Accounting Responsibilities:
- Lead the team in preparing, reviewing and analyzing accurate monthly financial and management reports, income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance and forecast, on monthly basis
- Maintain control of the general ledger, accounts payable, expense reports, billing, and payroll.
- Ensure that all organizational financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best practices related to transaction processing as guided by the financial policy of the organization.
- Manage and oversee processing of transactions related to payroll, accounts payable, revenue and expense, fixed assets, cash, bank reconciliations, and other allocations.
- Oversee month-end closing procedures, including overhead allocations, account reconciliations, and updating schedules.
- Coordinate the finance and accounting team in maintaining an orderly accounting filing system.
- Ensure timely, accurate, and complete financial statements for all projects and the consolidated organization are shared with donor partners and management.
- Lead the team in preparing annual reports, budgets in line with the work plan and support program teams in understanding the approved budget for smooth implementation
- Develop quarterly and annual cash flow reports based on the forecasts to aid in ensuring smooth flow of funds for timely implementation
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual variance reports to aid in identifying significant areas for management action
- Develop tools to aid in cost management for the project for effective use of donor resources
- Lead the department in coordinating the preparation of the draft audited financial statements and all tax returns.
Risk and Compliance Responsibilities
- Capacity build and mentor finance team on all compliance issues relating to policies and donor’s agreements in the grant implementation
- Review all financial reports and ensure expenses charged to grants for accuracy and completeness.
- Pro-active in ensuring all communication from donor partners are timely responded to and any required actions are expedited within the agreement framework
- Ensure grant projects close out procedures are done according to the donor guidelines.
- Prepare and assist with developing audit schedules for the annual audit and findings and recommendations acted upon in a timely and effective manner
- Ensure the grant operate within internal control systems to mitigate risks and ensure accountability that will result in good audit ratings
- Recommend to management on areas for improvements in the policies to increase organizational effectiveness.
- Undertake timely annual tax return for the organization to the relevant bodies
- Review and advise on grants contracts and lead teams in negotiating for grants and authentication/ approvals for implementation
- Lead management in the process of selecting sub-awardees by conducting due diligence, contracting and ensure implementation is in compliance to the grants
- Undertake the capacity building and mentorship of sub-awardees on donor partners contractual obligations as well as the organizations policies
- Undertake periodic monitoring and verification of the sub-grantees’ financial reports and performance and adherence to donor regulations
- Safe custody of all records and files for each sub-grantee
- Custodian of all records on assets in line with the organization policy
- Maintaining an organization register with full details of the assets in terms of date of purchase, suppliers, value, asset code, location and the status
- Undertaking a periodical verification of the assets to determine the status and presence
- Advising management on obsolete assets for disposal, loss of assets, movement and any other necessary recommendations
- Sharing annual reports on assets with management
- Preparing asset schedule for audit and advising on depreciation in line with the organization and donor policy
All applicants should urgently email a letter of application, CV, certificates and relevant testimonials to email@example.com by 14th February 2023. indicating current and expected Salary. Candidates should clearly indicate the position applied for and its Reference number FAM/O1/2023 as the email subject. Interview will be done on a rolling basis and only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will result to automatic disqualification.